Monday, July 22, 2013

Advice for New Teachers & a Back to School Freebie

I'm linking up with Mrs. Reed from Flying into First Grade for her Let's Get Acquainted Linky Party.


This week's topic is Advice for New Teachers!


Buy...comfortable clothes and shoes.  Now don't get me wrong...I love my heels and cute dresses but be prepared to stand all day, sit on the floor with the kids, & kneel on the floor to help your students.  

Always....over plan!  It's so much better to over plan than to under plan.  There's nothing more stressful than not having something to do....that's when they'll eat you alive :) 

Never....over react.  Keep things in perspective with students, staff, and parents.  It will all be ok.

Find.....a mentor.  You need someone to share with you the "tricks of the trade".  I've been teaching for 18 years but this will be my first year teaching kindergarten so I will definitely need someone to take me under their wing for a year or so.  They've been through it...so listen to their advice.

Make....time for yourself.  I can get completely obsessed and work many long hours at home and in the classroom.  Make sure to still do things with friends and family....it will make you a better teacher in the long run.

Be....flexible.  Sometimes your lessons will flop...it just comes with the territory.  Learn from it and move on:) 

Now for a quick freebie.  This idea has been on Pinterest a lot so I decided to make a printable to go with it.  I can't seem to find the pin now but you get a baggie and fill it with sweedish fish or fishy crackers and use this printable for the topper.  I think this will be cute for my kindergartners on the first day.  I made one for kindergarten through third grade.  Just click one of the pictures to download.




See you tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Come back again soon...I love visitors :)


Teaching Units Including Many Free Items