Sunday, April 14, 2013

Idioms Galore


I'm so sorry that I've been MIA lately.  Feeling a little down :(  We're getting ready for state testing and I'm scared to pieces!  The class I was given this year is extremely low.  I just administered the MAPS test and some have made 2 or more years growth.  I know that's something to celebrate but just because they've made growth from where they came from...they are no where even near to being ready for the state test.  This is in example of the class I have.  One of the other third graders classes have 8 enrichment kids whereas I have 2 (and they are borderline as is).  I don't mind at all getting the lower kids if that's taken into account when state testing comes around...but we all know it's not.  I love these little guys more than anything and wouldn't trade them for the world...I'm so proud of all their growth!  I just wish that aspect was taken into account.  
Ok...no more sadness!  I did my observation this month on idioms.  It seemed to go really well.  I read them the book More Parts by Ted Arnold.
I read half the book, pointing out idioms as I went.  During the second half of the book, they had to keep track of the idioms they heard using sticky notes.  They then went back to their seats and did this worksheet. where they picked two idioms from the second half of the book.  Then they wrote the read meaning and put it in a sentence.  For the life of me, I can't find this worksheet or I would give it to you.  I'll keep looking and hopefully post it for you later.  I'm sorry!  The next thing they did was an idiom sort.  They matched the idiom with the correct definition.  They l-o-v-e-d this.  Here are some pictures.  The Idiom Sort is HERE TpT shop and contains an anchor chart, four idiom posters, and 36 cards for sorting (18 idioms and 18 definitions).
Some of the Defitition Cards
Some of the Sorting Cards


Sorting Mat

Anchor Chart (free in Preview on TpT)

One of the four posters
Here's some pictures of a few kids doing the activity.


The next thing we did was to play Quiz-Quiz-Trade with my new Idioms Task Cards.  It worked like 
charm (which helps when the principal is observing :)
The task cards give a sentence using an idiom then gives you three multiple choice options to what the idiom really means.  They want to play this all the time now!




And last but not least....some giveaways!!!







 I promise to not be MIA this week so please come back and visit!





3 comments:

  1. I love teaching idioms to my class. Have you ever read My Teacher Likes to Say by Denise Brennan-Nelson? That's one of my favorites for introducing idioms.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    I'm so glad I came across your blog post today. I teach in Texas, so I'm not sure how the state tests factor into your evaluation at the end of the year, or if they do at all. As I'm writing this, I realize I should really research how things are in other states! Anyway...

    Remember- you are a teacher. We teach because we believe in the remarkable potential of children- all children- "enriched" or not. We teach because we know that our students deserve to have adults who care about them, truly care about them as individuals, about their futures, and the adults they will grow up to be.

    Educational mandates and trends will come and go, but our ultimate goal as teachers remains solid- we educate. We inspire. We lead. NO standardized test will ever measure your impact on a student's life. But your potential for changing their life is huge.

    Yes, you have been given a huge challenge, and no it will not be easy. You will not receive recognition for the miracles you will perform this year (2 years worth of growth is a huge accomplishment), nor will the students be commended for all of their hard work by other teachers or administrators. But you will know. You will be proud of them, you will be their cheerleader, and you will continue to raise the bar for them. You know in your heart that you have helped your students learn and grow, and you have altered their path for the better. They may not pass the test this year, but that does not mean they are doomed for life. They, and you, have to work a little bit harder than others, but the ultimate goal is the same. It just may take a little longer for that goal to be realized.

    As teachers, we have to develop as strong inner strength and provide our own evaluation of our worth- and not let all of the massive amounts of negative influences that surround us impact that worth.

    I wish I could hug you, but unfortunately, computers don't allow that :)

    Kelly

    Koonce’s Korner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idiom cards are so adorable! I am going to have to pick those up for next year when I teach my figurative language unit.

    I hope your testing went well. I think Kelly (above) said it so well! In Wisconsin, we test in the fall. :( So while I do not feel the same test stress that everyone else is feeling right now, I do think it is important to keep the bigger picture in mind. The growth your kids made WILL shine! :)

    From your newest follower, :)
    Jennifer

    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Come back again soon...I love visitors :)


Teaching Units Including Many Free Items